How does gender shape our destiny, our identity? What are the ways in which gender interacts and intersects with our other identities? How can we break the barriers imposed on us by binary gender roles? What happens when we transgress?
UPDT 15/03/17 with regards to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s recent comments on trans women’s womanhood.
Those are the few questions we would like the submissions to our first collective crowdfunded project to touch upon. The topic is vast. There is a lot to discuss. In truth it feels like chipping away at an iceberg with a tooth pick. But we are here to stay and we will continue chipping away. Treat it like a pool of ideas. Fish out the one that is closest to your heart and run with it. At the end of it all there will be a book worthy of note!
The subject of gender is difficult to narrow down without excluding entire groups of people. Instead, we want to present the phenomenon of gender as a whole by exploring a variety of individual stories. (Pioneers such as Ursula K Le Guin’s Left Hand of Darkness and Ann Leckie’s Ancillary Justice spring to mind). We want you, the writer, to negotiate with this subject as you see fit – through your own experience, through a magical realm or through the structure of language itself.
We are looking for:
- Short stories, flash fiction, essays, poetry and comics that explore gender and transgress the gender binary, taking into account the intersectional influence of other identities on our perceptions and lived experiences of gender.
- Up to three submissions per person. Preferably in different categories.
- Up to 4,500-5,000 words on short stories and essays (however, in some circumstances we will consider longer pieces, no longer than 10,000 words, each work will be accessed individually). Up to 6 pages for comics.
- Short stories and essays should be submitted in Word format. Comics should be black and white (or grayscale) and be submitted as a PDF.
- Submissions should be in English.
- Submissions should be separate files from author bios. Labelled: Project Uno: Category /Word, Line or Page Count / Title / Submission #number) For example: “Project_Uno_Comics_FivePages_BestComicEver_Submission1.
- Bios should be one page long, attached to the same email, and should include: author’s name or pseudonym, age, gender (as you identify), country of residence (so that we know how international our scope is), a brief writing CV, any social media links, contact email if different from submissions email and anything else you would like us to know.
- Has this piece been previously published? Let us know where and when. Please bear in mind that if you have published your work with another publication they may hold temporary rights (6 months or more) or exclusive rights to your work. Ideally, before submitting it to us, you should have checked with them first if you are free to publish it elsewhere.
- You must own the copyright to the work, you will retain it on publication.
- REMUNERATION: see F.A.Q
- QUESTIONS? Drop us an email or reach out on Twitter for the fastest response.
We insist, for the sake of unbiased selection, that you keep your author info and submission separate.
Deadline | July 30th 00:00 2017
Email your submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, you can submit your work through Green Submissions here.
We are aware that some content that will be submitted to us may contain sensitive and/or explicit information. Therefore, we insist that you be 16 or over.
Before sharing your submission with other contributing publishing folk we will always ask for your explicit approval. We will never release the personal information you have shared with us to a third party or to another contributor without your explicit written permission and any information we do have will be handled sensitively and stored securely.
How will this be funded?
This will be a crowdfunded project. In 2017 crowdfunding has already proven to be a successful way of funding publishing projects and securing a readership (have a look at Unbound and 404Ink – both crowdfunded publishers).
We are looking to gather great writing from all around the globe and crowdfunding has proven to be the most democratic way to fund such a project and reach a wider audience that is willing to read and support it. This is crucial for independent start-ups like ourselves.
Once we are happy with the collection of submissions we have gathered we will launch the crowdfunding campaign. This will be organised ahead of time and contributors will be informed about every step of the process. Whilst the crowdfunder runs, we will bring the collection into shape – ready for printing.
We are adamant that our authors and contributors get fair remuneration for their work – none of that ‘exposure’ slave driving from us. Unfortunately, as an independent start-up, we currently have little to no disposable income to make an upfront payment. This is why we rely on a crowdfunding campaign. Not only will it help us gauge our audience but it will help us pay our contributors fairly. At this moment it is difficult to estimate the size of the crowdfunding goal – it will wholly depend on the number and type of contributions (printing, author’s, production, design and editorial costs). We are gathering estimates and will have a better idea once submissions begin coming in.
Ultimately rates will vary depending on the word count of the selected pieces and how much editorial work they will require.
We operate on the basis of respond on request – email us with the details and we will let you know.
We are also hoping to set up a kind of bonus scheme, if you will, if the campaign does well and goes above the expected funding – anything that’s raised above the campaign goal will be split by percentage between contributors (some funding, according to the stretch goals, will also be set aside for future projects by KEP).
We are hoping that this will work well for encouraging people (especially the contributors) to advertise the campaign.
Bear in mind that if campaigns don’t work out, no-one gets paid. Authors retain rights to their work.